Immigration and visas

Citizens of other countries (B)

If you are a citizen of one of the following countries – Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Jordan, Katara, Kenya, Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia (Chechnya), Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen – you require a visa to enter the Republic of Latvia and a residence permit if your stay in the Republic of Latvia will exceed 90 days within a 6-month period.

After you have been accepted for studies at Liepaja University, you will receive a Study Agreement and Admission Letter for signing. Then you should submit the following documents to a Latvian consular mission in a foreign country:

  • Two recent photos;
  • Originals of your educational documents (to be legalized);
  • Proof of study fee payment;
  • Signed Study Agreement (provided by LiepU);
  • Statement on punishability issued by a competent institution of  the   citizenship or the host country;
  • Evidence that you have sufficient financial means (5500 USD / 4000 EUR per year);
  • Valid travel document recognized in the Republic of Latvia;
  • Proof of the state duty payment  (please find information on fees HERE
  • Pfficial application form for a residence permit
  • Document verifying the anticipated place of residence in the Republic of Latvia (provided by LiepU if will be staying at student hostel).


N.B. If a residence permit issuance has been confirmed by the OCMA, you should obtain an entrance visa at a Latvian consular mission abroad. Please consult a respective consular mission on required documents for submission.


If your residence permit has been approved but visa request rejected, then LiepU in 10 days reimburse to applicant study fee of the first study year and deposit (transaction expenses is non-refundable) after receiving refund application form.

The documents for your residence permit application can be submitted in Latvian, English, French, Russian or German. Unless there are international agreements in force that provide for a different procedure, all documents issued in other countries have to be legalized.